About Me

Saturday 10 December 2016

Critical Reflection

Three months ago, it was the start of a fruitful English journey in Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). The module, Effective Communication, has definitely improved my English in many ways be it in terms of writing or conversing. The first half of this module involved a lot of writing, skills like paraphrasing and summarising were made better through numerous assignments such as summary writing, construction of thesis statement and reader response. I feel that writing skills are especially important as report writing is focused more heavily at a University level. Previously, I paid little attention to the usage of correct grammar tenses and went along with sentences which sounded coherent. However, now, I feel the need to be more professional in my writing as I am an undergraduate. Therefore, the need for constant reviewing and editing of my assignments really enhanced my English fundamentals.

The second half of the module was focused on technical report writing and presentation. Writing a technical report requires ample research to be done as the solutions have to be explained and certain specific terms have to be broken down for the reader to understand. In my opinion, the biggest takeaway of this project will be the presentation segment. Before the actual presentation, my group and I performed a mock presentation to our buddy group. It was an opportunity for me to take in the feedbacks which made me more prepared to address the audiences' needs.

Regardless if my group and I were chosen for the presentation showcase, I still feel that we have benefitted a lot from the module as a whole - what matters is the process, not the outcome.

Commented on: Camille

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much for this clear, concise reflection, Kaylin. In this post you summarize the focus of our module quite aptly and show how within each area, you developed your skills. I also agree with your final statement on the 'process' being vital.

    Thank you for all your contributions this term, and your positive attitude. Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete